St. James' Barracks, Trinidad


Trinidad's tumultuous history particularly during the Napoleonic Wars, meant that a military presence was all too necessary for the colonial government. This 143 acre military complex complete with barracks, training grounds, hospitals and store rooms provides evidence of the authorities determination to guard the island in the 19th century. Unfortunately, tropical diseases made this an unpopular posting for European troops who were gradually replaced by locally trained levees instead. The British government was also keen to save money and pass defence on to local administration and provision. The army handed over the barracks to the newly formed colony of Trinidad and Tobago in 1889 who promptly used it as a police barracks. More can be read at The Caribbean History Archives. Picture courtesy of the The Caribbean Photo Archive


Trinidad and Tobago




Share