Map Of Haiti 1789


The island of Hispaniola is divided between French-speaking Haiti and the Spanish-speaking Dominican Republic. In 1492 It was discovered by Christopher Columbus, who is illustrated prominently here, and controlled by the Spanish who imported slaves from Africa. The French staked a claim on the west side of the island although the West Indies was plagued by pirates for many years. The slaves revolted in the 1790s led by Toussaint Louverture whose portrait is in the bottom left corner. The slave revolt saw an end to French rule and the name Saint Dominigue (San Domingo to the British) was forgotten and replaced by the name Haiti, the old name under the pre-Columbian indigenous Arawaks.

Port au Prince is in the inlet opposite the Isle Gonave, and Leogane can be seen to the west of this on the bulge of land at the start of the southern peninsula, also near R. de l’Acul indicating a small river. Archehaye is further up the coast, halfway to St Marc which is at a point jutting into the Gulf. Mole St Nicholas is the topmost point of the northern peninsula. Bombarde is not on this map, but Bombardopolis is these days a commune near the end of the northern peninsula.


Regimental Details



Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames


by Stephen Luscombe