Helmet 1812


The helmet which replaced the bicorn hat in 1812 was a radical change, offering the troopers more head protection and a smart appearance. 'The main part of the helmet was of stiff black leather decorated with three rows of brass scales around the base, a front plate and a fluted metal comb on top. 'The peak was leather edged in brass. 'The comb had a horsehair tail and brush in the style of the French dragoons and cuirassiers. 'This example has the chin-scales missing. 'The officers wore the same pattern helmet but with gilt fittings instead of brass. As the 7th Dragoon Guards were in camp in Sutton Coldfield at the time of the Clothing Warrant they were one of the first to receive the new uniforms.


Regiment | Uniforms




Share


Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames |


by Stephen Luscombe