The busby was of black fur and, in marching order, had the plume removed, but this soldier has the white over red plume of the 8th still in place. The height of the busby was reduced in 1888. His close-fitting tunic is braided with yellow worsted cord and has no badges on the collar. There is a white leather pouch-belt on his left shoulder which no longer supports his carbine, now carried in a bucket behind the saddle on his right side. In 1878 the cavalry were issued with Martini Henry carbines to replace the Snider. The other white belt on his right shoulder is canvas, for his haversack which is folded up neatly like this when empty.
From 1871 the cavalry wore breeches and knee boots, although the boots here look lower than knee length. His saddle is covered with a black sheepskin and he has a valise case on the back with yellow 8 H embroidered on each side. The sheepskin and valise were discontinued in 1896. The round mess tin is attached to the back of the saddle; this item was introduced in 1871 to replace the D shaped tin. There is a white rope strapped to the back of the saddle for tethering the horse. The sword is the 1864 type with a flat hand guard pierced with a cross pattern. This was modified so that the rings on the steel scabbard were changed to fixed rings in 1882 and to fixed rings either side of the scabbard mouth, in 1885. The sword here looks as if the rings are still in the 1882 position. He has white leather slings which attach to these rings and also to his waist-belt, worn under the tunic. From 1891 the sword was attached to the saddle when mounted. The sabretache was only worn by other ranks of hussar regiments at this period but from 1888 was only worn by NCOs.
Uniforms | Regimental details
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames |