NCO Arm Badge 1860


This photo was taken from 'Cavalry WO and NCO Arm Badges' by Linaker and Dine. They credit the collector Hugh King, the owner of the badge, and suggest that the sergeants of the 14th Light Dragoons wore an embroidered arm badge from 1831 to 1861 (see Sergeant's Arm Badge 1832). The regiment converted to hussars in 1861 and discontinued the embroidered eagle badge. However, they adopted a white metal arm badge of this pattern in 1867.

We know that the crown over the badge was still worn in 1858 as the sergeants were ordered to remove it by the newly formed Clothing Department; no authority for it was held at the Horse Guards. This order must have been ignored because another order to remove the crown followed in Feb 1860. The eagle part of the badge was sealed in Nov 1860 although it had been worn unofficially for nearly 30 years. It was stated that all NCOs were to wear it, not just sergeants.

The badge here is gold with a black eagle holding gold sceptre and orb, with gold crown and trefoils on the wings in place of the usual crosses. It is 44mm high by 36 mm wide.


Regimental Details | Badges



Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames


by Stephen Luscombe