The scarlet coatee was worn until 1855 but a few years before it was replaced the tails were shortened. This was ordered in 1847/8, and at the same time economy measures altered the amount of gold embroidery on the cuffs. The four loops with tasselled ends were reduced to one which was sewn on the black velvet cuff, slightly overlapping the edge. The epaulettes were of gold embroidery, with an embroidered crescent edge that had replaced the solid metal crescents in 1843. Rank badges were only worn by majors and above. The collar had two gold loops either side with tasselled ends. In 1847, the Albert helmet was introduced, so called because of the Prussian influence and the involvement of Prince Albert who came to settle in Britain in 1840 when he became Queen Victoria's consort. The falling horsehair plumes were black for all the heavy cavalry regiments but within a few years had been changed so that the Bays, Carabiniers and 1st Dragoons were the only regiments with black plumes.
The pouchbelt with pouch can be seen in this back view, revealing a black velvet fronted pouch with gold edge and embroidery. This fine pouch was changed to the more universal silver fronted pouch in 1855. The waist sash has long flowing ends with gold and crimson silk tassels. The method of carrying the sword and sabretache is not clear from this print. The sword sling appears to come from under the coat tail which suggests that the sabretache slings are also attached to a belt under the coat. The 1846 Dress Regulations call for a gold laced waistbelt with velvet edges, similar to the pouchbelt, fastened in front with a belt plate the same width as the belt. This would not be hidden under the coat, more likely worn over the waist sash. The privates in the background have their swords slung from a white belt worn over the coat. The dress sabretache is suspended from three gold laced slings. It was discontinued in 1855. The officer's horse has no dress shabraque at this stage, and the bridle has a black horsehair throat plume.
The print is from a painting by Henry Martens, engraved by John Harris, published on 6 Aug 1852.
Regimental details | Uniforms
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames | Library | Search | TV & Film | Wargames |