The men in this guard detachment were photographed at Hilsea in 1876. They are in dismounted order, trousers instead of breeches, and short white gloves instead of gauntlets. The tunics have quite short skirts and the blue collar is only an inch high. The yellow cord edging to the collar can be seen, as well as the corded Austrian knot on the cuffs. The corporal is second from the left, with two gold lace ranks stripes on his upper right arm and a single good-conduct stripe on his right forearm.
The shorter man on the left is an acting trumpeter which is apparent because of the white, not red, plume on his bearskin. He has a sword while the others do not. They carry Snider carbines. These were replaced by Martini Henry carbines in 1878. The white waist-belts are fastened with S-shaped snake clasps. This type of clasp replaced the rectangular waist clasp plate worn prior to 1875.
Regimental Details | Uniforms
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames |