|The chapel was dedicated on 19th July 1959 to the honour of King Charles the Martyr. The regiment was raised in 1661 and served in Tangier from 1662 to 1684. Tangier was part of the dowry of Catherine of Braganza on her marriage to King Charles II. The regiment was raised to garrison Tangier and was granted the title 'Queen's'.|
The garrison church of Tangier was dedicated to King Charles the Martyr, and the regiment worshipped there regularly. It is to commemorate this that the regimental chapel in Guildford Cathedral is similarly dedicated.
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames | British Empire on Ebay