Drum Banner c1870


A series of articles on drumhorses by R G Harris in the bulletin for the Military Historical Society describes this drum banner as one of a pair in the possession of the National Army Museum, Chelsea, inherited from the RUSI. He dates them as being the first banners carried by the 20th Hussars from 1861 to 1873. The cut off date is partly determined by the Ebsworth painting which shows different banners in 1874, having a VR cypher instead of the Royal Arms. The dates are not certain but it pre-dates 1874 when they received the battle honour for PENINSULA.


Regimental Details | Musicians and Trumpeters




Share



by Stephen Luscombe