The warrant of 1768 stipulated black fur caps to replace the cloth mitre cap but the regiment continued with the mitre cap at least until 1777. An inspection report of 10 May 1777 says: 'Grenadier caps old; the men are to be supplied with bearskin caps at next clothing, and the officers are to be provided with bearskins likewise.' In other respects the uniform on this 1778 dragoon conforms to the warrant of 19 Dec 1768:
'Privates. - Red coat faced blue and lined white, button holes of very narrow white braid, with metal buttons set on 2 and 2, one row of buttons only, but button-holes on each side. Epaulette, blue cloth with a narrow white tape round it and worsted fringe. White waistcoat and breeches. White shoulder-belt, 4.5 inches wide, white waist-belt 2,75 inches wide, with yellow metal buckles or clasps. Black bearskin cap, on the front the Thistle within the circle of St Andrew, and the motto NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT. Watering or forage cap, red turned up with blue II D on a little flap. Cloak red, lined white, blue collar, clasps set on at top on loops of yellow and blue. Horse furniture blue, laced Royal lace (yellow and blue stripe) device on housings, the Thistle within the circle of St Andrew. Bridoons to be black.
Corporals. - A narrow gold lace round the turn-up of the sleeve; blue cloth epaulette with a narrow white silk tape round it, and a silk fringe.
Sergeants. - Gold button-holes and a narrow gold lace round the collar; blue cloth epaulette with a narrow gold lace round it and gold fringe; pouch like the men; sash, crimson spun silk with a blue stripe.
Farriers - Blue coat lined blue, with red cuffs and collar; button-holes as the men. Blue waistcoat and breeches. To have churns and an apron. (A churn was a leather bucket carried by Farriers to hold the tools of their blacksmith trade.)
Quartermasters. - Uniforms to be without lace or embroidery, but with gilt buttons and an epaulette. Grenadier cap as the officers. Sash worn round the waist. Horse furniture as the officers, but the lace not so broad, and to have no tassels on housings or holster-caps.'
In this 1768 warrant officers wore a gold epaulette on both shoulders whereas there was only one epaulette on the left shoulder for the other ranks. Normally junior officers had only one epaulette but grenadiers had two. In 1764 there was a warrant ordering officers and men to have an epaulette on the left shoulder instead of the shoulder-knot. Buttons for all ranks had the number of the regiment (II D) The sash for officers (and sergeants?) was worn around the waist knotted on the right side for cavalry, on the left side for infantry ( Letter from the Adjutant-Generals 9 Mar 1769)
Regimental Details | Uniforms