The famous Bailey Guard Paltan was formed in Cawnpore in 1857 from the loyal Brahmins and Rajputs of the 13th, and the Sikhs of the 48th and 71st Bengal Native Infantry. The badge of the 16th is the turreted gateway surmounted by the number 16. This represents the Bailey Gate in the Lucknow Residency, better known in the regiment as Aitken's Post after the officer of that name who commanded the 13th.
The reformed regiment was designated The Regiment of Lucknow and received the number 16 in 1861. Since then, they have taken part in five major campaigns:
Duffla Hill Expedition - 1874-75
Afghanistan - 1880
Upper and Lower Burma - 1886 and 1887
Malakand - 1897
Campaign against the Bunerwals - 1898
In 1900 the regiment was based at Agra and the majority of recruits were drawn from farming Rajputs of the Bundelkhund district. It was a class regiment, by which is meant that all the Indians in the regiment, all eight companies, were of the same ethnic group or type ie. Rajputs. In 1914 they were based at Fort William. Their WW1 service was in India and Persia.
In 1922 they became the 10th or training battalion of the 7th Rajput Regiment based at Fatehgarh.