The Government House Nairobi was built in 1907 in Nairobi to serve as the official residence of the Governor of British East Africa. The governor would conduct his official functions at the old Provincial Commissioner's office next to Nyayo House and then retire to Government House for the day.
After independence, Government House was renamed State House. Although it remained the official residence of the Head of State, in practice it became an administrative or operational office occasionally providing accommodation to visiting State guests and receptions on National Days. Photograph Courtesy of Library of Congress
Wote Timamu, Effendi Article
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV and Film