This photo shows the transition of the uniform from the tailed jacket to the new doublet which took place in 1855. One officer, no.9, in the centre, still wears the old jacket, and another, no.12, on the right, is in the new double-breasted doublet which has slim gold shoulder cords instead of epaulettes or wings, and square instead of round buttons.
In 1855 the regiment was serving in the Crimean War, so this photo was probably taken at the depot, in either Colewort or Cambridge barracks, at Portsmouth. The wording underneath the photo, written by Percy Sumner, says that the central officer in the old style jacket is the depot adjutant. He has gold epaulettes and wears an oilskin cover to his feather bonnet. The new doublet was short-lived; it was replaced in 1856 by a single-breasted doublet. The officer’s broadsword obscures the Inverness flaps that formed a skirt front and back. The officer is a captain, having an embroidered crown and star on each side of his collar.
This officer wears a kilt as does the adjutant and lieutenant no.8 who is in undress, The pattern of sporran differs from the one adopted c1845 for dress occasions, as seen in the portrait of Captain Murray. Perhaps this was a pattern worn for normal duties.
Three of the officers are wearing trews, two of the captains, nos.7 and 11, having a coat that looks like a waterproof garment. The captain, no.11 has a scarlet shell jacket under his coat, similar to that worn by lieutenant no.8. The lieutenant no.10 is in mess dress which is made up of a scarlet waist-length jacket with white lapels and dark green collar and cuffs. The waistcoat is dark green and edged in white as are the collar and cuffs. The glengarry caps worn by 7 8 10 and 11 have a red tourie on top and a silver badge on the left side. No.11 has an additional small badge above the regimental badge. This is indistinct but is probably a silver stringed bugle to signify the Light Company.