In the years after World War One the uniform of the Queen’s Own Highlanders did not return to full dress. Khaki still remained the main component of regimental dress. This illustration is by Lt-Colonel Olaf MacLeod who painted military uniforms for the Museum at Fort George. It shows an officer and Highlander in khaki tunics and trews. The sett of the Cameron of Erracht tartan is clear on the officer but not so on the Highlander, but this may be because of the quality of the cloth. The kilt was still worn for parades and on campaign, but for barrack duties and in the evening after ‘Retreat’ trews were worn. In the 1970s this was known as No.2B dress, while the service dress jacket with kilt and sporran was No.2A.
When the Camerons amalgamated with the Seaforth Highlanders in 1961, officers and soldiers had to wear kilts of MacKenzie of Seaforth, while the pipers, drummers and bandsmen wore kilts and plaids of Cameron of Erracht tartan. But when they were wearing trews this was reversed so that officers and men of the QOH (Seaforth & Camerons) wore trews of Cameron of Erracht tartan, and musicians wore trews of MacKenzie tartan.
The officer’s jacket is similar to the pattern adopted in 1912 except that the rank badges are gilt metal and worn on the shoulder. Instead of the usual broadsword he has a pattern of sword normally associated with the 1st Battalion Highland Light Infantry (formerly the 71st LI), which is still a broadsword but having a cross-guard instead of a basket hilt.
The private soldier also wears a jacket that is little changed in style from that worn in WW1. In 1938 this was discontinued and replaced by the battledress blouse. The webbing belt is the same as that worn in 1914. The glengarry is worn by both men which suggests that after they were put into store in 1915 in exchange for the Balmoral bonnet, they were given a new lease of life after the war. However, during WW2 the bonnet TOS (Tam O’Shanter) was worn.