British Empire Title

The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders


Highland Brigade Cap Badge 1961-70


This was the first badge worn by the Queen’s Own Highlanders after amalgamation in 1961. It was introduced in 1958, to be worn by the Black Watch, Gordons, Seaforths, Argylls and Camerons. These regiments were reluctant to lose their regimental badges, but for the Camerons and Seaforths it was necessary to adopt a new badge in 1961 so they wore this, known as ‘the Crucified Moose’. The stag’s head is derived from the Seaforths and Gordons. The motto CUIDICH’N RIGH is the motto of the Seaforths. The Cross on which St Andrew was crucified is the saltire of Scotland. The badge was officially discontinued in 1968 but the Queen’s Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) retained it until 1970 when it was replaced by a combination of the Seaforths’ cap badge and the Camerons’ collar badge. The photo is from Scottish Military Disasters.


Regimental Details | Badges

Donate by Stephen Luscombe