This regimental badge of the amalgamated Seaforth and Cameron QO Highlanders replaced the unpopular Highland Brigade badge in 1970. It is the stag’s head and motto, formerly the Seaforth Highlanders’ cap badge, and the crowned thistle which was the collar badge of the QO Cameron Highlanders. This is a two part badge worn on the Bonnet TOS by junior ranks. The glengarry badge is in three parts, the motto separated from the stag’s head. This badge is still worn by The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons).
The stag’s head was worn as a badge by both the 72nd and 78th Highlanders. Tradition has it that the head and motto were conferred on Colin Fitzgerald of Kintail who saved King Alexander III in 1266 after the King fell from his horse and was attacked by a stag. Fitzgerald cut off the stag’s head and was rewarded by the king with a crest of the stag’s head and motto CUIDICH’N RIGH which is Gaelic for Help the King. A descendant of Fitzgerald became the 1st Earl of Seaforth in 1623, and a later Earl of Seaforth was Kenneth MacKenzie who raised the 72nd Foot. The photo is from the Cultman Collectables website.