British Empire Title

The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders


Stirling Castle


Stirling was built in the 16th century as a Royal Palace for the Scottish monarchy but became a military fortress in the 17th century. Soon after the 79th adopted Stirling as their regimental HQ the Great Hall became an accommodation block; the chapel became a lecture theatre and dining hall. The King’s Old Building became an infirmary, and the Royal Palace became the officer’s mess. A number of new buildings were constructed at the Nether Bailey in 1810, including the prison and powder magazine. Later in the 19th century it was the HQ of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. The print is a lithograph of Castle Walk in 1837, after S D Swarbreck 1837.


Regimental Details

Donate by Stephen Luscombe