Sir Baker Creed Russell

Russell joined as a Cornet in the 6th Dragoon Guards on 2nd November 1855. By the time the Indian Mutiny broke out he was a Lieutenant and stationed at Meerut. He was at Kurnaul when Col. Gerrard was killed and with Seaton's movable column at the battle of Gungaree, where, on the death of 3 senior officers he commanded the squadron and a detachment of 9th Lancers. On 17 Dec 1857 he commanded the cavalry at Putteali for which he was mentioned in despatches, and also at Mynpuree. He was present at the capture and the relief of Bareilly, the relief of Shahjehanpore, the capture of the Fort of Remai, the pursuit and destruction of the Fort of Mahundee, the action of Bunkagaon and the Operations in Oude. He was a very busy man at this time because he also fought at the actions of Mohudepore and Russulpore, the attack and capture of Fort Mitoulee, the actions of Alligunge and Biswa and served with the Agra Field Force in Central India in the pursuit of Tantia Topee for which he received a medal with clasp.
In March 1859 he was a captain and joined the 7th Royal Fusiliers. He was still a captain when he entered the recently converted 13th Hussars in October 1862. Life seemed to have quietened for the next eleven years but in 1873 brevet Major Russell was sent on special service to the Gold Coast (now Ghana) under Sir Garnet Wolseley. He was put in command of a native infantry regiment raised by him and called Russell's Regiment for the duration of the Ashanti War. At Absakampra he commanded the whole force in the successful defence against the Ashanti army. His regiment was part of the avdance guard under Col. Macleod at the attack and capture of Becquah, the engagement at Jarbinbah and the skirmishes between Adwabin and the river Ordah. He was well rewarded for his efforts at the battle of Ordahsu and the capture of Cumassie, being mentioned in despatches several times, promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, made a Companion of the Bath and given a medal with clasp.
A few years later in 1879 he again accompanied Wolseley, this time to South Africa, and commanded the forces against Sekukuni. He stormed his stronghold and disarmed the tribe for which he was again well rewarded (despatches, KCMG, medal etc.). Soon after this he was put in command of the 13th as Lieutenant-Colonel from September 1880 to July 1881. Then he was promoted to Colonel and served in the Egyptian War of 1882, first as Assitant Adjutant General for Cavalry and afterwards as Commander of a Brigade of Cavalry. He was present at El Magfar, Tel-el-Mahuta, Kassassin, Tel-el-Kebir and the capture of Cairo. Again the glittering prizes were showered on him; mentioned in despatches, KCB, medal with clasp, 2nd class of Medjidie and Khedive's Star. He was appointed Colonel of the 13th Hussars on 20th January 1894 with the rank of Major-General. He had reached the rank of General by 1903.

| Colonels | Regimental details |

Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames

by Stephen Luscombe