The 19th Regiment of Bombay Infantry were granted the title of The Mooltan Regiment when they became the 119th in 1903. This was in recocnition of their bravery in 1849 when they were despatched fron Sind to the Fortress of Mooltan, which they successfully stormed.
During the Second Afghan War, an act of selfless heroism by a British officer and two sepoys brought great honour to the 19th. On the 16th April 1880 Major S J Waudby recieved information that a strong force of Kakur Pathans were going to attack Dubrai, a small post that he was checking on in his capacity as Road Commandant between Kandahar and Quetta. The post was manned by local Pathans in whom Waudby had little confidence. With him were two sepoys of the 19th and three sowars of the Scinde Horse. He strengthened the defences as far as he could and waited for the attack. The Pathan guard deserted them and they held off the attack for four hours, killing 30 of the enemy. Eventually they were overpowered and all six died fighting to the end.
In 1914 the 119th were stationed at Ahmednagar and comprised 2 companies of Rajputana Gujars, 2 of Mers, 2 of Rajputana Rajputs and 2 of Hindustani Muslims. Their WW1 service was in India and Mesopotamia.
When they amalgamated in 1922, with the 6th and 10th Jats and the 18th, the new regiment was called the 9th Jat Regiment. They were stationed at Bareilly. In 1947 they went to India.