F Battery At the Sphinx c1925


In 1921 F Battery were posted to Palestine, then Egypt in 1922. The inter-war years were the last for the Royal Horse Artillery as horsed batteries. This photo of F (Sphinx) Battery RHA beside the actual Sphinx at Giza in Egypt shows that they were armed with the 13-pounder QF gun introduced to the RHA in 1904, and still fired by the King’s Troop today. This gun team waits as the sub-division in front moves forward. The sergeant rides beside the lead horses and seven mounted men wait on the off-side of the gun and limber, one of them a trumpeter. They all wear khaki hot weather service dress and Wolseley helmets, with leather ammunition bandoliers and haversacks slung on the left shoulder, and water-bottle straps on the right shoulder.


Regimental Details




Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames


by Stephen Luscombe