St John’s Wood 1939


The last non-mechanised RHA battery to occupy St John’s Wood was K Battery. This photo, taken in the late summer of 1939, shows the horsed battery in khaki uniform with puttees, steel helmets and gas mask bags on their chests. The old barrack blocks are behind them. The battery had been stationed at The Wood from 1936, and had their last mounted parade in Regent’s Park on 4 Sep 1939 before moving in November to Wootton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire. There they combined with G and K Batteries to form 5th Regiment RHA. The horses were returned to the Army Horse-Collecting Centre at Melton Mowbray.


Regimental Details




Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames


by Stephen Luscombe