The 150-acre grounds of the Gezira Sporting Club were initially carved out of the Khedivial Botanical Gardens, and as a result acacias and gardens continue to decorate the area. After the land had been formally leased to the British military command in 1882, club rules were formulated and the land was divided into several recreational playing grounds. At first, the club was for the exclusive use of the British Army. Even when opened up membership was restricted to applicants elected by the committee, on the recommendation of two members, although British army officers were automatically enrolled.
The exclusive character of the club continued until after World War II. In January 1952, the club was nationalized and became a public club. By this point, most members of the Gezira Sporting Club were Egyptians, but the club's members were still from society's elite.
Image courtesy of The Middle East Institute
The Road to Suez
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames |