|This photograph shows Fort Hose in Marudi in the North-East corner of Sarawak. It was named after its 1891 resident Charles Hose and was something of a regional capital and administrative centre in its own right. The availability of all the firearms shows that it also had a practical defensive value also.
Charles Hose was the official who recognised that large oil deposits might become important to the Sarawak economy and encouraged the otherwise reluctant Raja to open up this sector of the economy to outside experts.
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames |