The regiment had adopted Scottish doublets and trews from around 1881, although they continued to wear the same pattern blue infantry helmet as the rest of the British line. In 1881 the elaborate silver badge formed the centre of the helmet plate, but at that date the title remained The King’s Own Borderers. The word ‘Scottish’ was added in 1887, giving the regiment its familiar designation. The Victorian crown surmounting the gilt star, together with the crown on the silver Royal Crest, dates this badge to the period before 1902. The helmet itself was discontinued after 1903 when the diced Kilmarnock bonnet replaced it, bringing this pattern of helmet plate to an end.