The regiment had worn the blue infantry helmet since 1878, although the plate itself underwent several changes. A white metal centre was introduced around 1882, and in 1887 the word ‘Scottish’ was added to the regimental title. The next alteration came in 1902 when the Victorian crown was replaced by the King’s crown of Edward VII. This required changes both to the brass universal star and to the white metal Royal Crest. This version of the badge, however, was short‑lived, for after 1903 the blue helmet was superseded by the diced Kilmarnock bonnet, bringing the use of the helmet plate to an end.